Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Molly Gumnut Rescues a Bandicoot (Junior fiction)

I have now completed my second, junior fiction novel, Molly Gumnut Rescues a Bandicoot. It's aimed at confident readers aged eight to eleven.  In this story, Molly rescues a young bandicoot from the claws of her neighbour’s cat. Of course, nothing ever runs smoothly with Molly, and I never know how a book will end until I write the last chapter. I have it in my head, but Molly always controls my endings.

The inspiration for this story came when I cared for a little bandicoot that was attacked by a cat. I named him Furble and with the fantastic training I’ve been given by FAWNA (wild life rescue) I was able to bring him back to health and release him back to his family in the bush. It was an experience I’ll always treasure and I hope Furble’s experience is read by many. I also hope this story will encourage people to keep their cats in at dusk and dawn. That’s when these little critters are out and about.

Furble is one of the sweetest little critters I’ve ever seen. He will remain in my heart forever. I hope you all enjoy the photos and videos of Furble and I hope that Furble is enjoying the rest of his life. (Link to FAWNA (For Australian Wildlife Needing Aid) http://www.fawna.org.au/courses.html














6 comments:

  1. Bandicoots are so cute! I've enjoyed reading about your fur babies and Molly Mavis Gumnut. Best of luck with your writing and submitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Book Chook, how nice to see you here. Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

    Thanks for the well wishes too.

    I love bandicoots. We have at least one living in our garden, maybe more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous! It must be so rewarding to look after those critters. I'm glad Furbie recovered from the attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Authorness, it really is rewarding, looking after injured wildlife. It can be heartbreaking too sometimes.

    You get a real buzz when you help save a little treasure like a bandicoot. It was a great day when my husband and I released Furble, but we miss him. He was so happy to go home to his mama. He seemed a little disorientated when we put him on the ground, then he glanced back and bolted into the long grass. I hope he keeps away from cat and dog food and stays safe. Bless him.

    There’s an animal that visits our veggie patch at night. It's had a few new broccoli plants and dug up an avocado pip that my husband planted. We suspect it's a bandicoot, but we haven't seen him yet. I'll have to set up the camera and see. I love bandicoots.

    What if it's Furble?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Betrisha!! This is ur pal twiki from critique circle!! Gosh, Molly is cute! She looks just like a little mischif maker! Did I spell that rite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! twiki, fancy seeing you here. I'm so happy that you came to visit me on my blog. Now you know what Furble looks like.

    It's wonderful getting critiqued by a girl the age I'm writing for, especially since you're a writer yourself. Your critiques are always so helpful and I love when I get the reaction I'm aiming for.

    We'll both be published one day, twiki. Yay!

    Thanks so much for dropping in.

    Trisha.

    ReplyDelete